Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The little exhibitionist

I always knew this day would come. The day when we'd open the bedroom door to find the squid traipsing around in her birthday suit. I'm not sure why I thought this would happen later in life, but I did.
Unfortunately, I missed the first event. It happened at our sitter's house. Evidently, Jeane heard Savena talking to herself in the nursery/crib room, so she went to get her up from her nap. When she opened the door, she came face to face - or should I say face to "cheek" -- with the squid standing straight up in bed wearing nothing but her socks. Somehow or other, she'd managed to get her shirt, undershirt, pants and diaper off and was just having a grand ol' time leaning up against the railing. She didn't have as much luck getting her diaper off the next day, but she has decided to practice her new skill as often as possible.

Now to the conundrum: I have absolutely no problem with her showing some skin (she's only 21 months old, after all) but I do wonder when and how to address the topic of when it's ok and when it's not ok to run around naked. Is this even something parents address with kids nowadays? The last thing I want to do is pass my own shortcomings on to her, so I'm tempted to just let things go for the time being, maybe bring it up in a year if she starts to make a habit of it. It is pretty cute, after all! My only goal is for her to love herself as she is and not feel ashamed or that she has to cover herself up.

Until next time, be sure to enjoy the sunshine, dance naked in your room, and take a toddler for a walk. :-)
P.S. The pic is of Savena applying her lipstick (lip gloss). She's such a girly girl!

1 comment:

Kim Smith said...

Precious little one!