Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kids say the darndest things edition

Since I became a mother, I've given up on the luxury of being able to go to the bathroom by myself. I'm sure it'll happen again someday, but for now I'm resigned to the fact that one of my children will always walk in when I'm otherwise indisposed.

What happened yesterday, though, really topped it off.

After running around town for nearly four hours, we finally made it home and I raced into the bathroom. I hadn't been in there for 60 seconds, when the Squid came tearing down the hall and into the bathroom yelling "Mommy, mommy. I need to potty."

I told her that it was good that she realized she needed to go to the bathroom, but that she needed to wait for me to finish. (Or heaven forbid, use the other bathroom.) I'd be done in a couple minutes and then she could have the potty to herself.

This did not go over as expected. She stood there staring at me for about 30 seconds and then said (and I quote), "Hurry up, mommy. You're wasting my time!"

I fought off the laughter (I can only imagine what I was keeping my 3-year-old from)... but Mark did not.

Unfortunately, he walked by at that exact moment and - you guessed it - literally doubled over w/ laughter, ruining any chance that the Squid won't repeat the phrase the next time she finds me on the potty when she needs to go.

I suppose I should be happy that she has good grammar, but geesh! Can't a mom get 60 seconds to use the bathroom?!?

No comments: